Russia detains two over deadly metro crash: Investigators
Moscow: Russian investigators said today they had detained two Moscow metro workers in a probe into a devastating crash that killed 22 people and injured dozens.
The Investigative Committee said it was holding two suspects - a maintenance foreman, Valery Bashkatov, and his assistant Yury Gordov - and added that high-ranking officials could also be arrested.
"The detained have already been questioned," the committee said, noting the men will soon be formally charged with safety breaches.
Twenty-one people died and more than 200 were wounded yesterday when a metro train braked abruptly and three carriages derailed and crumpled.
The death toll from the rush hour crash has since climbed to 22, an emergencies ministry spokesman told Russian news agencies today.
The train derailed between Park Pobedy and Slavyansky Boulevard on the blue line.
The Investigative Committee said that the metro had since May been carrying out work to install a set of points - a section of track allowing trains to change lines - to launch a section of new tracks.
The suspects had overseen the works, said the committee, which reports directly to President Vladimir Putin.
The committee said in a statement it believed "the works have not been conducted in a proper manner."
"A set of points was fixed in place with a piece of regular 3-millimetre wire which snapped."
The Investigative Committee indicated that higher-ranking officials behind the crash could also be arrested, saying it intended to probe "absolutely everyone involved in this tragedy."
Putin yesterday had ordered a criminal probe in the crash, the worst accident in the Moscow metro`s 80-year history.
City authorities declared today a day of mourning as calls mounted to urgently improve the marble-clad but overcrowded metro, one of the world`s busiest.
The subway, which first opened in 1935 under Stalin, transports some 9 million passengers every day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY