Russia dismantles last outpost beyond Georgia rebel regions
Tbilisi: Russian forces Monday withdrew from
the last outpost they had occupied outside Georgia`s rebel
regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia since the two countries`
Following an announcement hailed by international
mediators, Russian border guards dismantled a checkpoint,
withdrew from the town of Perevi and moved inside the de facto
borders of South Ossetia, Georgian and European Union
Georgia welcomed the move but said it was a "miniscule
step" and called on Russia to fully comply with the
EU-brokered ceasefire that ended the 2008 conflict.
The European Union Monitoring Mission (EUMM) in Georgia
said the withdrawal took place without incident.
"Our patrols have been monitoring and we can confirm the
withdrawal of the Russian border guard checkpoint in Perevi,"
EUMM spokeswoman Virginia Antonini said.
"Everything went smoothly, there were absolutely no
incidents," she added.
Georgian Interior Ministry spokesman Shota Utiashvili
said Georgian police had moved into Perevi following the
withdrawal and would be setting up a checkpoint in the next
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview