Russia dismantles last outpost beyond Georgia rebel regions
Tbilisi: Russian forces Monday withdrew from
the last outpost they had occupied outside Georgia`s rebel
regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia since the two countries`
Following an announcement hailed by international
mediators, Russian border guards dismantled a checkpoint,
withdrew from the town of Perevi and moved inside the de facto
borders of South Ossetia, Georgian and European Union
Georgia welcomed the move but said it was a "miniscule
step" and called on Russia to fully comply with the
EU-brokered ceasefire that ended the 2008 conflict.
The European Union Monitoring Mission (EUMM) in Georgia
said the withdrawal took place without incident.
"Our patrols have been monitoring and we can confirm the
withdrawal of the Russian border guard checkpoint in Perevi,"
EUMM spokeswoman Virginia Antonini said.
"Everything went smoothly, there were absolutely no
incidents," she added.
Georgian Interior Ministry spokesman Shota Utiashvili
said Georgian police had moved into Perevi following the
withdrawal and would be setting up a checkpoint in the next
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!