Russia dismisses report of 'secret talks' with Pakistan on CPEC
New Delhi: Russia on Tuesday dismissed as not "corresponding to the realities" the reports in Pakistani media about it holding "secret talks" with Pakistan on the creation of China-Pakistan economic corridor (CPEC).
The Russian Foreign Ministry in a statement also said that the possibility of Russia joining this (CPEC) initiative is not being discussed with Islamabad.
"Reports appearing in Pakistan's media about some 'secret talks' between Russia and Pakistan on the creation of CPEC do not correspond to the realities. The possibility of Russia joining this initiative is not being discussed with Islamabad.
"Our trade and economic cooperation with Pakistan has its own value. We aim for its further strengthening. The implementation by Russian companies of business projects in IRP, including the construction of North-South gas pipeline from Karachi to Lahore, are implemented on the bilateral basis," as per the statement, which was circulated by the Russian Embassy here.
According to a Pakistani media report earlier this week, apart from deciding to use the Gwadar Port for trade to have access to warm waters, Russia also wants to join the USD 46 billion CPEC to reap maximum dividends.
"In addition, Russia aspires to develop strategic defence ties with Pakistan," the media report had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened