Russia downsizes military; says won`t build up N-arsenal
Moscow: As part of major post-Soviet military reforms, President Dmitry Medvedev today announced that Russia has no plans to boost its nuclear stockpiles and has downsized the strength of its troops to one million with the aim of creating "a lean but mean" force.
"Today we have no need to build up the potential of our
strategic deterrence, but possession of nuclear weapons is a
key condition for Russia to pursue its independent policies,
for safeguarding its sovereignty, for peace efforts and for
preventing any military conflict and also settling post-
conflict situations," he said.
Addressing top commanders of the Russian armed forces,
Medvedev noted that Russia and the US have made considerable
headway on a new strategic arms control pact in recent months
and the negotiations would continue on March 9 to put in place
a new accord to replace the Soviet-era START treaty that
expired on December 5 last year.
Medvedev also announced that as part of the reformation
of the Soviet-era military behemoth, the numerical strength of
armed forces has been reduced to 1 million personnel with the
aim of creating a lean but mean force.
"The main aim is to create a modern military and navy,
equipped with latest weapons," the Russian President said in
his televised remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days