Russia drops charges in lawyer`s prison death
Moscow: Russia`s top investigative body says it`s dropped charges against a doctor suspected of involvement in the death of prominent lawyer Sergei Magnitsky.
The Investigative Committee said on Monday that it closed a probe against Larisa Litvinova, chief physician at the Butyrskaya prison in Moscow because of the statue of limitations. She and the prison`s deputy chief Dmitry Kratov were suspected of negligence that led to Magnitsky`s death.
Magnitsky, who had accused the Interior Ministry officials of using false tax documents to steal USD 230 million from the state was imprisoned for tax evasion in 2008 and died of untreated pancreatitis in November 2009. Magnitsky`s death was seen as a litmus case for President Dmitry Medvedev`s pledge to cement rule of law in Russia.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview