Russia ends anti-crime cooperation deal with US
Moscow: Russia is terminating a decade-old agreement on cooperation with the US in law and drug enforcement, the Russian government said Wednesday.
Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has signed a relevant order to terminate the deal, the government said on its website.
"The order was initiated by the Russian foreign ministry, as the above agreement is out of line with today`s realities and has exhausted its potential," the statement said.
The agreement was signed Sep 25, 2002.
As part of the deal, the US provided financial assistance to relevant Russian organisations for anti-crime projects.
"The Russian foreign ministry has been instructed to notify the American side on the decision made," the statement said.
There was no immediate reaction from the US authorities.
The Russian government`s move comes amid deteriorating ties between the two countries over human rights.
Last year, Washington implemented the Magnitsky Act, a law introducing sanctions against Russian officials suspected of human rights abuses that was named after Sergei Magnitsky, a whistleblowing lawyer who died in a Moscow jail in 2009.
Russia responded by banning US citizens from adopting Russian children and prohibiting politically active Russian NGOs from accepting financing from the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH