Russia ends anti-crime cooperation deal with US
Moscow: Russia is terminating a decade-old agreement on cooperation with the US in law and drug enforcement, the Russian government said Wednesday.
Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has signed a relevant order to terminate the deal, the government said on its website.
"The order was initiated by the Russian foreign ministry, as the above agreement is out of line with today`s realities and has exhausted its potential," the statement said.
The agreement was signed Sep 25, 2002.
As part of the deal, the US provided financial assistance to relevant Russian organisations for anti-crime projects.
"The Russian foreign ministry has been instructed to notify the American side on the decision made," the statement said.
There was no immediate reaction from the US authorities.
The Russian government`s move comes amid deteriorating ties between the two countries over human rights.
Last year, Washington implemented the Magnitsky Act, a law introducing sanctions against Russian officials suspected of human rights abuses that was named after Sergei Magnitsky, a whistleblowing lawyer who died in a Moscow jail in 2009.
Russia responded by banning US citizens from adopting Russian children and prohibiting politically active Russian NGOs from accepting financing from the US.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'