Russia, EU urges direct Israeli-Palestinian talks
Moscow: Russia and the European Union believe the Palestinians and Israelis should open direct peace negotiations without any preconditions, the Russian foreign ministry said.
"The parties should enter into direct and substantive negotiations without preliminary conditions with the aim of achieving a long-term resolution of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict," Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs Catherine Ashton said in a statement adopted at the Russia-EU summit in Brussels.
They called on the Palestinian leadership to use the recognition of the Palestinian Authority (PA) as a UN non-member observer state constructively and not take any steps that could deepen the misunderstanding with Israel and further complicate a negotiated settlement.
Russia and the EU also urged Israel to avoid any steps undermining the PA`s financial situation.
Russia has repeatedly called for a stronger effort to push Palestinians and Israel toward dialogue and revitalise the work of the Quartet of international mediators in the Mideast conflict.
The Quartet, comprising the US, the EU, the UN and Russia, was established in 2002 and had its last meeting in September 2011 at the UN headquarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof