Russia evacuates troops from base in Syria: Report
Moscow: A Russian newspaper has reported that Russia has pulled out all of its military personnel from its naval base in Syria.
The base at Tartus is a minor facility, used mainly to service Russian navy ships in the Mediterranean, but it is Russia`s only naval outpost outside the former Soviet Union.
The number of personnel stationed there is unknown.
Vedomosti, a respected business newspaper, reported the evacuation today, citing an interview with Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov published in the Al Hayat newspaper and its own unnamed source in the Defence Ministry.
The Defence Ministry has not commented, and the report could not be independently confirmed.
The newspaper said the decision was made because of the risks posed to Russian military personnel by the civil war in Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror