Russia: Four rebels killed in Caucasus province
Makhachkala: Four militants, including a rebel warlord were killed by security forces in Russia`s restive province of Dagestan in the North Caucasus, Law enforcement officials said.
National Anti-Terrorist Committee spokesman Andrei Chatskyi told Rossiya-24 television that warlord Aslan Mamedov and an accomplice were shot dead today in a gunfight with security forces in the town of Khasavyurt near Chechnya.
Mamedov had been accused of staging a series of attacks on police and other authorities in Dagestan.
Regional police spokesman Vyacheslav Gasanov said another two militants died over the weekend in a clash with police in the village of Tukhchar west of Khasavyurt.
Dagestan and other provinces in Russia`s North Caucasus have been destabilised by an Islamic insurgency that has spread across the region following two separatist wars in Chechnya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?