Russia: Four rebels killed in Caucasus province
Makhachkala: Four militants, including a rebel warlord were killed by security forces in Russia`s restive province of Dagestan in the North Caucasus, Law enforcement officials said.
National Anti-Terrorist Committee spokesman Andrei Chatskyi told Rossiya-24 television that warlord Aslan Mamedov and an accomplice were shot dead today in a gunfight with security forces in the town of Khasavyurt near Chechnya.
Mamedov had been accused of staging a series of attacks on police and other authorities in Dagestan.
Regional police spokesman Vyacheslav Gasanov said another two militants died over the weekend in a clash with police in the village of Tukhchar west of Khasavyurt.
Dagestan and other provinces in Russia`s North Caucasus have been destabilised by an Islamic insurgency that has spread across the region following two separatist wars in Chechnya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok