Russia: Four rebels killed in Caucasus province
Makhachkala: Four militants, including a rebel warlord were killed by security forces in Russia`s restive province of Dagestan in the North Caucasus, Law enforcement officials said.
National Anti-Terrorist Committee spokesman Andrei Chatskyi told Rossiya-24 television that warlord Aslan Mamedov and an accomplice were shot dead today in a gunfight with security forces in the town of Khasavyurt near Chechnya.
Mamedov had been accused of staging a series of attacks on police and other authorities in Dagestan.
Regional police spokesman Vyacheslav Gasanov said another two militants died over the weekend in a clash with police in the village of Tukhchar west of Khasavyurt.
Dagestan and other provinces in Russia`s North Caucasus have been destabilised by an Islamic insurgency that has spread across the region following two separatist wars in Chechnya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice