Russia: Four rebels killed in Caucasus province
Makhachkala: Four militants, including a rebel warlord were killed by security forces in Russia`s restive province of Dagestan in the North Caucasus, Law enforcement officials said.
National Anti-Terrorist Committee spokesman Andrei Chatskyi told Rossiya-24 television that warlord Aslan Mamedov and an accomplice were shot dead today in a gunfight with security forces in the town of Khasavyurt near Chechnya.
Mamedov had been accused of staging a series of attacks on police and other authorities in Dagestan.
Regional police spokesman Vyacheslav Gasanov said another two militants died over the weekend in a clash with police in the village of Tukhchar west of Khasavyurt.
Dagestan and other provinces in Russia`s North Caucasus have been destabilised by an Islamic insurgency that has spread across the region following two separatist wars in Chechnya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani