Russia has made `serious miscalculation`: Britain
London: Russia`s incursion in Crimea is a "serious miscalculation" and Moscow could face far-reaching economic consequences unless a diplomatic solution can be found, British Foreign Secretary William Hague said on Sunday.
Hague said European countries could switch from using Russian gas to supplies from the United States or elsewhere in protest at Moscow`s actions.
He told BBC TV that a referendum in Crimea about whether to leave Ukraine scheduled for March 16 would come "ridiculously quick".
"The world will not be able to regard that as a free or fair referendum," Hague said.
He dismissed suggestions that Moscow was oblivious to the West`s anger at its actions in Crimea.
"I think they (the Russians) do care about the international reaction to what they`ve done. That reaction is strong," he said.
Hague said that unless a diplomatic solution could be found, "there would be far-reaching trade and economic consequences".
Possible measures such as visa freezes and travel bans would "be taken very seriously by the individuals concerned".
"Those are things over time which I think will mean this (the intervention in Ukraine) has been a serious miscalculation."
Although there have been no armed clashes yet, Hague warned that a lack of progress through negotiations would "bring the real danger of a real shooting conflict".
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US President Barack Obama hosts jazz concert at `Blues House`
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm