Russia has made `serious miscalculation`: Britain
London: Russia`s incursion in Crimea is a "serious miscalculation" and Moscow could face far-reaching economic consequences unless a diplomatic solution can be found, British Foreign Secretary William Hague said on Sunday.
Hague said European countries could switch from using Russian gas to supplies from the United States or elsewhere in protest at Moscow`s actions.
He told BBC TV that a referendum in Crimea about whether to leave Ukraine scheduled for March 16 would come "ridiculously quick".
"The world will not be able to regard that as a free or fair referendum," Hague said.
He dismissed suggestions that Moscow was oblivious to the West`s anger at its actions in Crimea.
"I think they (the Russians) do care about the international reaction to what they`ve done. That reaction is strong," he said.
Hague said that unless a diplomatic solution could be found, "there would be far-reaching trade and economic consequences".
Possible measures such as visa freezes and travel bans would "be taken very seriously by the individuals concerned".
"Those are things over time which I think will mean this (the intervention in Ukraine) has been a serious miscalculation."
Although there have been no armed clashes yet, Hague warned that a lack of progress through negotiations would "bring the real danger of a real shooting conflict".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!