`Russia has no business in NATO missile defence`
Warsaw: Poland has warned Moscow against interfering in NATO`s plans to deploy a missile shield in Europe, as Russia is not a member of the military alliance, said a Polish official.
On Sunday, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen announced the "first step" in the European missile defence system.
"If this system belongs to NATO, then it cannot be that a state, which is not a NATO member, could influence NATO`s defence system and the development of this system," said Bogdan Borusewicz, chairman of the Polish Parliament`s upper house.
Talks with Russia on the missile shield in Europe, however, must be continued to convince it that the system is not threatening Russia`s national security, he added.
"I believe that talks should be continued so that the Russian authorities do not think that the system is aimed at the country," Borusewicz told reporters.
Nikolai Makarov, chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, said in early May that Russia does not exclude a pre-emptive strike against a NATO missile defence system in Europe as a last resort.
The US and NATO agreed to develop the system at a summit in Lisbon in 2010, but talks between Russia and the alliance have floundered over NATO`s refusal to grant Russia legal guarantees that the system would not be aimed against Russia`s strategic nuclear deterrent.
NATO and the US insist that the shield would defend NATO members against missiles from North Korea and Iran but it would not be directed at Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Actor-politician Ramya says 'Pakistan not hell', faces sedition charge
- After NEET, govt works on National Authority for Testing for engineering admissions
- SHOCKING! Hyderabad woman arrested for carrying 2 Kg gold in her underwear at Delhi airport
- Thailand military court opens trial in Bangkok shrine blast
- How to overcome your jetlag?