Russia hits out at West`s `chilling` stance on Syria
Moscow: Russia on Wednesday accused Western powers of encouraging terrorism over their refusal to condemn the suicide bombing that killed Syria`s defence minister last week.
"In other words, they are saying: `We will continue to support such terrorist acts until the UN Security Council does what we want it to`," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said. "This is a chilling position."
Four top Syrian security officials, including Defence Minister Dawoud Rajha, were killed when a suicide bomber managed to infiltrate the government building where they were meeting in the capital Damascus July 18.
US envoy to the UN Susan Rice said after the bombing that the attack was further proof of the necessity to adopt a Security Council resolution against the regime of embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
Syrian rights activists say around 16,000 have been killed since the start of the uprising against Assad in March 2011.
Russia and China vetoed a Western-backed UN resolution on Syria July 19 over fears that it would lead to foreign military intervention in the Middle East country, a stance that Rice called "paranoid if not disingenuous".
This was the third time that Russia and China had vetoed a UN resolution on Syria. Russia says it has no special interest in seeing Assad remain in power, but that the Syrian people should decide his fate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter