Russia indicts former defence minister
Moscow: Russian investigators on Friday formally charged an ex-defence minister with negligence and did not rule out expanding the charges following a further investigation.
Anatoly Serdyukov, who was fired a year ago in a major corruption scandal, has been charged with negligence for using servicemen to build a road to a private residence in southern Russia, the Investigative Committee said.
The former defence minister faces up to three months in prison or up to a year of "corrective work" or community service if convicted of the charge.
"I would like to specify that this is just an initial charge," spokesman for the Investigative Committee, Vladimir Markin, said in a statement.
He did not rule out that the charges would be expanded following a further investigation.
The once influential official is accused of ordering servicemen to refurbish a private holiday residence on an island in Russia`s southern Astrakhan region and to build a road to it. The investigation estimates the damages to the state at 56 million rubles (USD 1.6 million).
The holiday residence belonged at the time to Serdyukov`s son-in-law.
Serdyukov did not admit guilt and refused to testify against himself, the Investigation Committee said today.
Investigators first announced they were bringing criminal charges against the former minister last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray