Russia marks 10th anniversary of Kursk sub sinking
Moscow: Russian Navy ships are flying flags at half-mast and memorial ceremonies are being held across the nation to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Kursk nuclear submarine disaster.
The Kursk, one of Russia`s most advanced submarines, suffered two powerful explosions and sank during naval manoeuvres in the Barents Sea on August 12, 2000, killing its entire crew of 118. The bodies were recovered when the wreck was raised in 2001.
Prosecutors blamed the catastrophe on an explosive propellant that leaked from a faulty torpedo.
Memorial ceremonies were held on Thursday at the northern submarine base of Vidyayevo where the Kursk was based and other Navy bases and Russian cities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Coldness grows between Ranbir Kapoor, Katrina Kaif – former couple not to work together anymore?
- Did you know? India's first bullet train will run under water
- Selfie time! Alia Bhatt freezes frame with Shah Rukh Khan and Gauri Shinde's team – Pic inside
- If Priyanka Gandhi takes charge of Congress then BJP will face tough challenge: Ramdev
- 'Jai Hind' – this is how Air India will wish passengers now!