Russia marks 10th anniversary of Kursk sub sinking
Moscow: Russian Navy ships are flying flags at half-mast and memorial ceremonies are being held across the nation to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Kursk nuclear submarine disaster.
The Kursk, one of Russia`s most advanced submarines, suffered two powerful explosions and sank during naval manoeuvres in the Barents Sea on August 12, 2000, killing its entire crew of 118. The bodies were recovered when the wreck was raised in 2001.
Prosecutors blamed the catastrophe on an explosive propellant that leaked from a faulty torpedo.
Memorial ceremonies were held on Thursday at the northern submarine base of Vidyayevo where the Kursk was based and other Navy bases and Russian cities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?