Russia marks 10th anniversary of Kursk sub sinking
Moscow: Russian Navy ships are flying flags at half-mast and memorial ceremonies are being held across the nation to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Kursk nuclear submarine disaster.
The Kursk, one of Russia`s most advanced submarines, suffered two powerful explosions and sank during naval manoeuvres in the Barents Sea on August 12, 2000, killing its entire crew of 118. The bodies were recovered when the wreck was raised in 2001.
Prosecutors blamed the catastrophe on an explosive propellant that leaked from a faulty torpedo.
Memorial ceremonies were held on Thursday at the northern submarine base of Vidyayevo where the Kursk was based and other Navy bases and Russian cities.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal