Russia may evacuate personnel from Syria if attacked
Moscow: Russian servicemen may be evacuated from the country`s naval base in Tartus, Syria, if it comes under attack, Navy chief Vice Admiral Viktor Chirkov said.
"I am not the one to issue orders. We have the defence minister (for that)," Chirkov told Ekho Moskvy Radio.
"If we have to evacuate the personnel that is currently deployed there, we certainly will."
Chirkov stressed that an order by the commander in chief of the Russian Armed Forces (the president) and Russia`s top political leadership was required for that.
Chirkov said earlier said Russia had no plans to abandon its naval base in Tartus.
The Russian Navy needs the base to provide maintenance and technical support to Russian warships in the Mediterranean, as well as those on an anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean, he said.
Russia has repeatedly denied media reports that it was sending warships to Syria and delivering weapons to the Middle Eastern country.
Russia`s Black Sea Fleet commander Rear Admiral Alexander Fedosenkov said the country`s warships in the Mediterranean are preparing for naval drills due in September, but were not carrying out any military tasks in Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow