Russia may let foreign airlines fly domestic route
Moscow: The Russian government is considering giving foreign low-cost airlines access to domestic routes in order to develop internal competition and cut air ticket prices.
"The issue of inviting foreign low-cost airlines here and developing infrastructure for the creation of Russian low-cost air carriage is now being discussed very actively," said Igor Artemyev, head of the Federal Anti-Monopoly Service (FAS).
A government meeting on competition and the development of small and medium businesses agreed on urgent measures to develop competition on the domestic airline market and cut air ticket prices, Artemyev said.
The measures to increase competition on the airline market will also apply to fuel and filling facilities and airports, he said.
Deputy Transport Minister Valery Okulov, who oversees the domestic aviation sector, said the ministry has also drafted a law allowing foreign pilots to work on Russian airlines.
Currently, Russian law forbids foreign pilots from flying aircraft within Russia unless they are taking off or landing there.
Russia`s Association of Air Transport Operators warned earlier this year that domestic airlines were facing bankruptcy over soaring operating costs, particularly fuel prices.
The aggregate losses of Russia`s top 35 airlines hit 14.5 billion rubles ($450 million) in 2011. Of these airlines, 22 companies had posted profits in 2010.
Air ticket prices increased by 11.8 percent on average in 2011 whereas aviation fuel prices soared 30.7 percent, while ground maintenance costs have risen by 119-211 percent in the past five years, the association said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org