Russia must press Ukraine separatists to free OSCE team: Berlin
Berlin: Russia has a "duty" to pressure pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine to free OSCE inspectors they have held since Friday, the German foreign minister said.
"Russia has the duty to influence the separatists so that the members of the OSCE who are being held will be released as soon as possible," Frank-Walter Steinmeier said in a statement released today.
Steinmeier also warned the separatists that publicly exhibiting the OSCE observers and Ukrainian security forces as prisoners was "repugnant and rides roughshod over the dignity of those concerned".
"This is a violation of all negotiating rules and norms that prevail in tense situations like this one," he added.
Steinmeier said Berlin was working with the OSCE to find a solution.
The pro-Russian militants in Ukraine today presented the captured team of international observers as "prisoners of war", raising the stakes in the crisis as US President Barack Obama warned Moscow against "provocation".
The eight, including four Germans, were captured in the eastern town of Slavyansk on Friday since when they have been held in the city`s town hall. The rebels are also holding four Ukrainian OSCE representatives, but they have not been seen in public since.
One of the OSCE observers, a Swede who was said to suffer from diabetes, was freed late today and has left Slavyansk`s the town hall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, Thane; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur, Akola