Russia must press Ukraine separatists to free OSCE team: Berlin
Berlin: Russia has a "duty" to pressure pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine to free OSCE inspectors they have held since Friday, the German foreign minister said.
"Russia has the duty to influence the separatists so that the members of the OSCE who are being held will be released as soon as possible," Frank-Walter Steinmeier said in a statement released today.
Steinmeier also warned the separatists that publicly exhibiting the OSCE observers and Ukrainian security forces as prisoners was "repugnant and rides roughshod over the dignity of those concerned".
"This is a violation of all negotiating rules and norms that prevail in tense situations like this one," he added.
Steinmeier said Berlin was working with the OSCE to find a solution.
The pro-Russian militants in Ukraine today presented the captured team of international observers as "prisoners of war", raising the stakes in the crisis as US President Barack Obama warned Moscow against "provocation".
The eight, including four Germans, were captured in the eastern town of Slavyansk on Friday since when they have been held in the city`s town hall. The rebels are also holding four Ukrainian OSCE representatives, but they have not been seen in public since.
One of the OSCE observers, a Swede who was said to suffer from diabetes, was freed late today and has left Slavyansk`s the town hall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read