Russia, NATO to discuss Afghanistan bases
Moscow: Russian defence officials and NATO representatives will discuss the creation of army maintenance bases in Afghanistan in May, a defence ministry official said.
"We will consider various options for establishing maintenance bases on the territory of Afghanistan," said Sergei Koshelev, head of the defense ministry`s chief administration for international military cooperation.
It is important to maintain the weapon systems and military equipment of the Afghan Armed Forces in a serviceable state, he said Wednesday, adding that any escalation of the situation in Afghanistan after NATO troops pull out in 2014 could have a negative impact on the security of both Russia and other European nations.
The discussion will take place in the course of an international conference titled `Military and Political Aspects of European Security`, which will be held in Moscow May 23-24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site