Russia, NATO to discuss Afghanistan bases
Moscow: Russian defence officials and NATO representatives will discuss the creation of army maintenance bases in Afghanistan in May, a defence ministry official said.
"We will consider various options for establishing maintenance bases on the territory of Afghanistan," said Sergei Koshelev, head of the defense ministry`s chief administration for international military cooperation.
It is important to maintain the weapon systems and military equipment of the Afghan Armed Forces in a serviceable state, he said Wednesday, adding that any escalation of the situation in Afghanistan after NATO troops pull out in 2014 could have a negative impact on the security of both Russia and other European nations.
The discussion will take place in the course of an international conference titled `Military and Political Aspects of European Security`, which will be held in Moscow May 23-24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Actor-politician Ramya refuses to apologise for 'Pakistan is not hell' remark
- Pakistan briefs China on alleged human rights violations in Kashmir Valley
- Russia loses appeal against Paralympics ban in Rio next month
- Google unveils Android Nougat for Nexus devices
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections