Russia Navy considering buying French-built ship
Moscow: A top Russian military official says Russia is negotiating the possible purchase of a military ship built in France.
Deputy Defence Minister Vladimir Popovkin says it is too early to say whether an agreement for buying a Mistral-class helicopter carrier can be reached.
Popovkin told Ekho Moskvy radio on Saturday that along with the ship Russia was seeking to acquire technologies that would help raise the level of domestic shipbuilding industries.
If a deal goes through, it would be the first foreign ship that Russia`s Navy has bought in decades, and the first-ever from a NATO member nation.
Russia currently only has one Soviet-built aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, which has been plagued by mechanical problems and accidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok