Russia Navy considering buying French-built ship
Moscow: A top Russian military official says Russia is negotiating the possible purchase of a military ship built in France.
Deputy Defence Minister Vladimir Popovkin says it is too early to say whether an agreement for buying a Mistral-class helicopter carrier can be reached.
Popovkin told Ekho Moskvy radio on Saturday that along with the ship Russia was seeking to acquire technologies that would help raise the level of domestic shipbuilding industries.
If a deal goes through, it would be the first foreign ship that Russia`s Navy has bought in decades, and the first-ever from a NATO member nation.
Russia currently only has one Soviet-built aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, which has been plagued by mechanical problems and accidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra