Russia Navy to have permanent fleet in Mediterranean
Moscow: The Russian Navy will station a permanent task force in the Mediterranean Sea, Admiral Viktor Chirkov said.
"Up to five or six warships must be present in the Mediterranean Sea on a permanent basis," Xinhua quoted Chirkov as telling a TV station run by the defence ministry.
He said the squadron would be made up of frigates, cruisers and support vessels, and would be under the command of Russia`s Black Sea Fleet.
Earlier, Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu also said the navy possessed the capabilities to form a workable squadron in the region.
He, however, did not give a timetable for the deployment, which would need to ensure logistics and maintenance of warships in the Mediterranean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda