Russia Navy to have permanent fleet in Mediterranean
Moscow: The Russian Navy will station a permanent task force in the Mediterranean Sea, Admiral Viktor Chirkov said.
"Up to five or six warships must be present in the Mediterranean Sea on a permanent basis," Xinhua quoted Chirkov as telling a TV station run by the defence ministry.
He said the squadron would be made up of frigates, cruisers and support vessels, and would be under the command of Russia`s Black Sea Fleet.
Earlier, Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu also said the navy possessed the capabilities to form a workable squadron in the region.
He, however, did not give a timetable for the deployment, which would need to ensure logistics and maintenance of warships in the Mediterranean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future