Russia needs defence research body: NATO envoy
Moscow: Russia`s envoy to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin, has called for the creation of a defence research agency similar to DARPA, the Pentagon agency that funds military research in the US.
In an article in the Izvestia newspaper, Rogozin said Russia`s defence industry had "serious problems" even though the government has earmarked 3 trillion rubles ($97 billion) for its modernisation over the next 10 years.
"Liberal economists" of the 1990s and "irresponsible reforms" were partly to blame for this, he said.
"Russia needs a qualitative breakthrough but this calls for the creation of a modern technological basis," Rogozin said.
"It is necessary to create the Russian version of the Defence Advance Research Projects Agency (DARPA)," he went on. "It would be a government body with its own budget."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note