Russia needs defence research body: NATO envoy
Moscow: Russia`s envoy to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin, has called for the creation of a defence research agency similar to DARPA, the Pentagon agency that funds military research in the US.
In an article in the Izvestia newspaper, Rogozin said Russia`s defence industry had "serious problems" even though the government has earmarked 3 trillion rubles ($97 billion) for its modernisation over the next 10 years.
"Liberal economists" of the 1990s and "irresponsible reforms" were partly to blame for this, he said.
"Russia needs a qualitative breakthrough but this calls for the creation of a modern technological basis," Rogozin said.
"It is necessary to create the Russian version of the Defence Advance Research Projects Agency (DARPA)," he went on. "It would be a government body with its own budget."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report