Russia not in talks over Assad`s future: Lavrov
Moscow: Moscow is not holding talks with anyone over Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s future, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Sunday.
Speaking during a meeting with President Vladimir Putin`s election agents, Lavrov said the priority to solve the crisis should be forcing all parties involved to lay down their weapons instead of talking endlessly about Assad`s fate, Xinhua reported.
The minister reiterated Moscow`s stance on Syria, calling for a Geneva meeting of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council and the Arab League countries.
He also called for the full implementation of the Geneva communique as a basis for the political settlement of the crisis and complained that some of Russia`s western partners had departed from former agreements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter