`Russia not losing influence in Mideast`
Moscow: "The idea that Russia is losing influence in the Arab world as a result of the Arab Spring is "wishful thinking," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said.
"We disagree with such opinions because our relations with the majority of the region`s most influential countries have either retained their intensity or even deepened," Lavrov said Tuesday in an interview with the Rossiiskaya Gazeta government daily.
He said that such statements were "wishful thinking and an attempt to set certain forces against us".
"Serious countries and serious opposition figures… see Russia as a factor contributing to stability," Lavrov added.
"No matter what happens, Russia would still be treated as a reliable partner and an important guarantor of geopolitical balance, just like it used to be in the past, when the region was freeing itself from colonial rule," Lavrov said. "There is no prejudice against Russia [in the region]."
Russia has been widely criticised for supporting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and vetoing two UN Security Council resolutions on Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!