`Russia not obliged to notify West of war games`
Moscow: Russia is not obligated to notify western countries beforehand of its recent snap military exercises, a top Russian defence ministry official said Monday.
"The mechanism of checks today is such that we only need to notify western countries when we hold planned events," Sergei Ryzhkov, the chief of the ministry`s treaty implementation department, told journalists.
"If exercises occur suddenly, we may notify them [other countries] only when the exercises begin," Ryzhkov said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered snap drills Thursday, as concerns persist over the combat readiness of the armed forces in the country.
In line with the 2011 Vienna Document on Confidence- and Security-Building Measures, other countries should be notified of war games only when at least 9,000 troops participate in the drills, Ryzhkov added.
When the number of troops participating in the drills equals or exceeds 13,000, such exercises should be subject to foreign observation, he said.
The Black Sea exercise, which ended Sunday, involved up to 7,000 military personnel, including rapid deployment, airborne and special task forces, more than 30 warships, about 250 armored vehicles, up to 20 pieces of artillery and 20 aircraft.
The unscheduled exercise was the second in a span of two months and followed a major shake-up at the top of a military establishment demoralized by persistent evidence of rampant corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh