Russia pledges to bring US `child abusers` to justice
Moscow: Russia`s chief investigator has vowed to bring to trial American citizens alleged to have evaded punishment for "serious crimes" against Russian adopted children.
"We intend to prosecute all those US nationals who have not been properly punished for serious crimes against Russian children on US territory," said Alexander Bastrykin, head of the Investigative Committee, an FBI-style law enforcement agency.
He said Russia would place all those people concerned on the international wanted list and seek to have them arrested in absentia by Russian courts.
Russian officials have criticised investigations into the deaths of Russian adoptees in the US and alleged that courts hand down softer punishments for crimes against children from Russia.
Bastrykhin`s pledge comes amid a growing row over the death of a three-year-old Russian child in the US.
Russian officials say the boy, Maxim Kuzmin, was murdered by his US adoptive mother in Ector county, Texas.
Russia`s child rights ombudsman Pavel Astakhov tweeted that Kuzmin, also known by his US name Max Shatto, had "numerous injuries" and had been given powerful "psychotropic substances" by his adoptive mother.
However, Ector county sheriff Mark Donaldson said he had "no idea where that information came from".
"We don`t have any other information right now, until the autopsy report comes in," he said.
Astakhov`s accusation whipped up a storm of outrage in Russia, with nationalist politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky, leader of the LDPR party, alleging Americans adopted Russian children to "torment" them, in comments aired on state-run TV.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'