Russia preparing to implement NSA-like surveillance in country
Tokyo: Russia is preparing to implement the kind of electronic surveillance that NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden uncovered in the US.
The Communications Ministry and the Federal Counterintelligence Service or FSB have drafted a regulation requiring Internet providers and mobile operators to install equipment allowing spy services to record and store nearly 12 hours of data passing through their networks, the Japan Times reports.
The ministry`s draft directive also orders providers to store identifying information about participants in all data exchanges.
This will include e-mail addresses, Internet addresses, web-chat IDs and the physical locations of people using Skype or Google Hangouts. The equipment is to be installed by July 1 next year.
According to the report, the new directive appears to violate Article 24 of the Russian Constitution, which says personal information cannot be collected and stored without a citizen`s permission.
The country`s existing electronic surveillance system, known as SORM, allows intelligence services to monitor Internet traffic, but does not require providers to record information, the report said.
The FSB and other security services need a court order to access the data they have the capacity to screen. They are not formally allowed to store anything, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog