Russia probes 25 cases of defence ministry fraud
Moscow: Russian authorities are investigating about 25 separate instances of fraud in the widely-publicised Oboronservis case involving illegal sale of property belonging to the defence ministry, the prosecutor general said Wednesday.
"Some 25 separate criminal cases have been opened and combined into one probe," Yury Chaika said at a meeting with Russian lawmakers.
"The damage from these frauds adds up to about five billion rubles ($166 million)," he said, adding further damage totalling 2.3 billion rubles ($76.5 million) has been prevented and about 1 billion rubles ($33 million) have been recovered.
The investigation led to the sacking of Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov last November, who is still considered a witness in the case.
According to investigators, Serdyukov has been summoned for questioning several times, but refused to answer questions, including those concerning an investigation against his son-in-law.
Several people have been charged and arrested in the case so far, including the former head of the ministry`s property department Yevgenia Vasilyeva.
Yekaterina Smetanova, a former executive at Oboronservis and key suspect in that investigation, was detained on fraud charges last October and signed a pre-trial plea bargain agreement after her arrest.
She was recently released from custody with travel restrictions after cooperating with the investigation.
Oboronservis carries out a variety of services relating to defence ministry property, including repair and maintenance of equipment and real estate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'