Russia probes reports of soldiers starving
Moscow: The Russian military has launched a probe into media reports that soldiers and officers based on the Kuril islands in the country`s far east were left to starve after being given rotten food.
The Eastern Military District Prosecutors` Office, with the Military Prosecutor`s Office of Goryachiye Klyuchi garrison, has launched a check into foods supplies at the military unit on the Island of Kunashir, an official said.
Recent media reports claimed soldiers and officers in a military unit on the Kuril islands were fed food containing worms, forcing them to go hungry.
The reports were denied by Eastern Military District spokesman Col Alexander Gordeyev.
The Main Military Prosecutor`s Office said prosecutors would "examine all the circumstances, including the quality of food supplies, cooking, drinking water and compliance with sanitary requirements".
Russia maintains garrisons on the Kurils, which are the subject of a territorial dispute with neighbouring Japan, which calls the islands the Northern Territories.
The islands were occupied by Soviet forces in August 1945 at the end of World War II.
Scandals surrounding living conditions and poor food in the Russian Army have been frequently reported in the last two decades.
In July 2010, Kommersant newspaper reported 1,000 tonnes of dog food had been discovered in an army food depot, which was being fed to soldiers, along with products that were beyond their shelf-life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org