Russia questions UN-Arab League envoy`s legitimacy
Moscow: Russia has questioned if the UN-Arab League joint envoy Lakhdar Brahimi can stay as a lawful representative on Syria crisis following the League`s latest move, Xinhua reported.
"A big question arises about the mandate of Lakhdar Brahimi, who is a representative of the United Nations and the Arab League on contacts and negotiations between the (Syrian) government and opposition for the purpose of finding a mutually acceptable solution before the Arab League summit," Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
Arab leaders gathered Tuesday for the bloc`s annual two-day summit in Doha, offering Syrian opposition National Coalition an official seat at the gathering.
"I just can`t see how Mr. Brahimi can continue representing not only the UN, but also the Arab League," Lavrov said Thursday, adding the results of the Arab League summit showed it had given up the peaceful settlement of the prolonged crisis.
According to Lavrov, Arab League`s recognition of the opposition group as the sole legitimate representative of Syria has already "put an end" to the Geneva agreements.
On Wednesday, Moscow said the Arab League`s move to hand the Syrian opposition the country`s official seat at the summit and its decision to give military backing to the rebels went against international law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?