Russia `ready to host` Syria regime, opposition for talks
Moscow: Russia is ready to host informal talks between Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s government and the opposition, a media report quoted Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov as saying today.
The ITAR-TASS news agency quoted Bogdanov, who represented Russia at talks in Geneva yesterday with US officials and UN-Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi, as saying that the consultations "do not necessarily have to end in some sort of agreement."
It was most important to "create an atmosphere for (future) talks," the news agency quoted Bogdanov as saying in Geneva.
Bogdanov added that some opposition groups have already agreed to come to Moscow, although he provided no further details, the ITAR-TASS report said.
The Russian diplomat explained that the talks could pave the way for the staging of a formal Geneva 2 conference involving the warring parties and world powers as well as regional Arab states.
The Geneva 2 conference has been delayed throughout the year because of disagreements about who might attend and some rebel leaders` insistence on making Assad`s ouster a precondition for the meeting.
Brahimi said yesterday that he still hoped the Geneva 2 meeting could be held before the end of the year.
Bogdanov said the informal Moscow meeting could offer the opportunity for "people to simply meet each other and discuss problems now standing before the Syrian people -- both those represented by the government and the opposition," Interfax reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends