Russia recalls ambassador to Kiev for `consultations`
Moscow: Russia is calling its ambassador to Ukraine back to Moscow for "consultations", the foreign ministry has said on Monday, after tumult in Kiev led to pro-Russian leader Viktor Yanukovych being toppled and replaced with a pro-EU leadership from the opposition.
"Due to the escalation of the situation in Ukraine and the necessity of analysing the existing situation from all sides, a decision has been made to recall the Russian Ambassador to Ukraine (Mikhail) Zurabov to Moscow for consultations," the foreign ministry said in a statement late yesterday.
Three months of protests in central Kiev led to carnage and nearly 100 dead last week after clashes between police and anti-government demonstrators. The crisis also led to President Viktor Yanukovych`s flight from the capital and parliament voting to call new elections on May 25.
The political crisis in Ukraine also triggered a tug of war over Russia`s neighbour between Moscow and the West, with Moscow accusing Western diplomats of meddling and encouraging unrest, and calling protesters extremists and even "neo-Nazis".
The protests started in November as rallies against Yanukovych`s decision to back out of an Association Agreement with the European Union and opt for closer relations with Russia, but evolved into a broad movement against his rule.
Western officials gave cautious but vital backing to the changes in Ukraine, but Russia warned that a bailout loan agreed with Yanukovych and desperately needed for the country`s empty coffers was on hold.
Russia`s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov yesterday told US Secretary of State John Kerry that the opposition in Ukraine had "de-facto seized power, is refusing to lay down weapons and continues to rely on violence".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?