Russia recognises anti-Gaddafi national council: Foreign Minister
Moscow: Russia on Tuesday said it recognises
anti-Gaddafi Transitional National Council as a legitimate
negotiator in resolving the Libya crisis and deciding the
future of the troubled North African nation.
"The Transitional National Council does not seek to be
recognised as the only legitimate representative of the Libyan
people, but wants to be seen as a legitimate partner in
negotiations on Libya`s future," Russian Foreign Minister
Sergei Lavrov was quoted as saying by RIA Novosti.
Yesterday, Lavrov had a meeting with Abdel Rahman
Shalgham, a representative of the Libyan opposition seeking
ouster of Muanmmar Gaddafi.
After his meeting here Shalgham claimed the Libyan
opposition and Russia have an understanding regarding the
recognition of the opposition government in Benghazi.
"We have a mutual understanding on the issue of
recognising the transitional government in Benghazi. The fact
that I was received in Moscow by Russian Foreign Minister
(Lavrov) speaks of the role and importance of the Council,"
Shalgham told reporters and ruled out talks with the Gaddafi
Last week, Lavrov had a meeting with Gaddafi`s
personal envoy Muhammad Ahmed al-Sharif, secretary general of
the World Islamic Call Society to "assist the mediatory
efforts of the United Nations and the African Union."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened