Russia regrets US postponing meeting on Syria
Moscow: Russia on Tuesday said it regretted a decision by the United States to shelve a meeting on the Syria crisis this week, as expectations mount of military action against the Damascus regime.
The scrapping of the planned meeting in The Hague is the latest sign of a new peak in tensions between Moscow and the West over the possibility of military strikes against President Bashar al-Assad`s regime.
"It arouses regret that our partners decided to cancel the bilateral meeting" involving senior diplomats from both sides, Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov wrote on Twitter.
He added such talks would have been particularly useful at a time "when military action is hanging over this country".
Western countries including the United States are considering their response to an alleged chemical weapons attack by Assad`s regime on August 21.
In a new diplomatic feud between Moscow and the West, Russia has said it believes rebels were behind the incident and has warned any military action without UN approval would violate international law.
US Under Secretary of State Wendy Sherman and Ambassador Robert Ford were due to meet with a Russian delegation in The Hague to discuss progress towards organising a peace conference on Syria.
A senior US State Department official said that the sides would work to "reschedule" the meeting although Gatilov said the encounter had simply been cancelled.
"Working out the parameters of a political solution in Syria would have been especially helpful right now, when military action is hanging over this country," Gatilov said on Twitter.
The comments came a day after Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov condemned the "hysteria" over the claimed chemical attack and said Western countries have yet to come up with any proof that the Assad regime was behind it.
Russian President Vladimir Putin told British Prime Minister David Cameron in a telephone call yesterday that there was no evidence yet that the Syrian regime had used chemical weapons against rebels, Cameron`s office said.
Pro-Kremlin Russian newspaper Izvestia yesterday published an interview with Assad who ridiculed as "nonsense" the idea that his regime used chemical weapons and warned the United States of failure if it attacked Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`