Russia reminds Syria of pledge to never use chemical weapons
Moscow: Russia has reminded Syria of its pledge to never use its stockpile of deadly chemical weapons, even as Damascus recently issued warning that it would use them if attacked by foreign forces.
Russia``s Foreign Ministry issued a statement that apparently reflected a degree of irritation with Syria, its long term ally.
Russia has been protecting Syria from international sanctions and continued to supply it with weapons amid an escalating civil war.
In its statement, the Russian Foreign Ministry reminded Syria that it had ratified a global convention banning the use of chemical weapons, News 24 reports.
It added that Russia expects Syria to ‘unfailingly honor its international obligations.’
Syria on Monday threatened to unleash its chemical and biological weapons if it faces a foreign attack.
According to the report, Syria’s remarks marked its first-ever acknowledgement that it possesses weapons of mass destruction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India