Russia reminds Syria of pledge to never use chemical weapons
Moscow: Russia has reminded Syria of its pledge to never use its stockpile of deadly chemical weapons, even as Damascus recently issued warning that it would use them if attacked by foreign forces.
Russia``s Foreign Ministry issued a statement that apparently reflected a degree of irritation with Syria, its long term ally.
Russia has been protecting Syria from international sanctions and continued to supply it with weapons amid an escalating civil war.
In its statement, the Russian Foreign Ministry reminded Syria that it had ratified a global convention banning the use of chemical weapons, News 24 reports.
It added that Russia expects Syria to ‘unfailingly honor its international obligations.’
Syria on Monday threatened to unleash its chemical and biological weapons if it faces a foreign attack.
According to the report, Syria’s remarks marked its first-ever acknowledgement that it possesses weapons of mass destruction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31