Russia rescues 675 anglers off drifting ice sheet
Moscow: Russian authorities on Sunday rescued 675
fishing enthusiasts from a sheet of ice that had broken free
off the far eastern Sakhalin Island, setting them adrift.
An elaborate rescue operation lasted several hours and
involved nearly 50 people, eight vessels and two helicopters,
the emergencies ministry said.
"The state of those who were rescued is satisfactory,
no-one needs medical help," the ministry said.
Ice fishing is wildly popular throughout Russia in the
winter months with legions of keen anglers taking to frozen
rivers, lakes and seas to fish through bore-holes in the ice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman