Russia rescues 675 anglers off drifting ice sheet
Moscow: Russian authorities on Sunday rescued 675
fishing enthusiasts from a sheet of ice that had broken free
off the far eastern Sakhalin Island, setting them adrift.
An elaborate rescue operation lasted several hours and
involved nearly 50 people, eight vessels and two helicopters,
the emergencies ministry said.
"The state of those who were rescued is satisfactory,
no-one needs medical help," the ministry said.
Ice fishing is wildly popular throughout Russia in the
winter months with legions of keen anglers taking to frozen
rivers, lakes and seas to fish through bore-holes in the ice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH