Russia rescues 675 anglers off drifting ice sheet
Moscow: Russian authorities on Sunday rescued 675
fishing enthusiasts from a sheet of ice that had broken free
off the far eastern Sakhalin Island, setting them adrift.
An elaborate rescue operation lasted several hours and
involved nearly 50 people, eight vessels and two helicopters,
the emergencies ministry said.
"The state of those who were rescued is satisfactory,
no-one needs medical help," the ministry said.
Ice fishing is wildly popular throughout Russia in the
winter months with legions of keen anglers taking to frozen
rivers, lakes and seas to fish through bore-holes in the ice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'