Russia reviews adoption law over French gay marriage
Moscow: Russia`s children`s rights ombudsman Pavel Astakhov has said Moscow may change its adoption agreement with France in response to the country’s new gay marriage law.
Earlier on Saturday French President Francois Hollande signed into law a controversial bill allowing same-sex marriage. The bill has sparked mass protests throughout the nation.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said late last month Russia could change its adoption agreements with the countries which allowed gay marriage that goes against “traditional Russian values”.
The Russian law defines marriage as between one man and one woman.
“France has other variants now. It turns out, that the countries (Russia and France) have a different legal framework. It is obvious, that a new mechanism should be devised to resolve this issue,” Astakhov told the Echo Moskvy radio station.
Russia’s State Duma, the lower house of parliament, has been requested to come up with amendments to the law by July 1, Astakhov said.
Homosexuality was only decriminalised in Russia in 1993, and anti-gay sentiment remains strong in society, including among Russia`s political establishment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'