Moscow: The Russian Foreign Ministry on Monday blamed al Qaeda and its associates for the recent bomb attacks in Syria.
Speaking with reporters, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said: "For us it is absolutely clear that terrorist groups are behind this -- al-Qaeda and those groups that work with al Qaeda.”
Twin suicide car bombs exploded outside a military intelligence building and killed 55 people last week, tossing mangled bodies in the street in the deadliest attack against a regime target since the Syrian uprising began 14 months ago.
The bombings fuelled fears of a rising Islamic militant element among the forces seeking to oust President Bashar Assad and dealt a further blow to international efforts to end the bloodshed.
Gatilov further struck a pessimistic note, saying: "It is hard to say how things will go from here. In the immediate term the prospects of the sides sitting down at the negotiating table are not there."
"This standoff is becoming a long-term situation and it is hard to say how long it will go on," he said.
"We have a situation where there is a certain balance between government forces and opposition groups. The worst outcome is for this stagnation to continue."
(With Agency inputs)