Russia says only UN can judge Annan`s plan
Moscow: Russia`s foreign minister has warned that the implementation of Kofi Annan`s cease-fire plan for Syria can only be assessed by the United Nations.
Sergey Lavrov warned Wednesday that groups such as the Friends of Syria should have no say in evaluating the plan`s performance.
Syrian forces have continued shelling opposition strongholds despite a pledge by Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime to respect a week-old cease-fire and withdraw troops from urban centers in line with Annan`s plan.
Lavrov accused the Syrian opposition forces of provoking the government`s backlash in order to thwart the cease-fire plan. He urged all nations that have leverage with the opposition to force it to abide by cease-fire.
Russia, along with China, has twice shielded its ally Syria from UN sanctions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city