Russia says only UN can judge Annan`s plan
Moscow: Russia`s foreign minister has warned that the implementation of Kofi Annan`s cease-fire plan for Syria can only be assessed by the United Nations.
Sergey Lavrov warned Wednesday that groups such as the Friends of Syria should have no say in evaluating the plan`s performance.
Syrian forces have continued shelling opposition strongholds despite a pledge by Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime to respect a week-old cease-fire and withdraw troops from urban centers in line with Annan`s plan.
Lavrov accused the Syrian opposition forces of provoking the government`s backlash in order to thwart the cease-fire plan. He urged all nations that have leverage with the opposition to force it to abide by cease-fire.
Russia, along with China, has twice shielded its ally Syria from UN sanctions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing