Russia says only UN can judge Annan`s plan
Moscow: Russia`s foreign minister has warned that the implementation of Kofi Annan`s cease-fire plan for Syria can only be assessed by the United Nations.
Sergey Lavrov warned Wednesday that groups such as the Friends of Syria should have no say in evaluating the plan`s performance.
Syrian forces have continued shelling opposition strongholds despite a pledge by Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime to respect a week-old cease-fire and withdraw troops from urban centers in line with Annan`s plan.
Lavrov accused the Syrian opposition forces of provoking the government`s backlash in order to thwart the cease-fire plan. He urged all nations that have leverage with the opposition to force it to abide by cease-fire.
Russia, along with China, has twice shielded its ally Syria from UN sanctions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea