Russia says only UN can judge Annan`s plan
Moscow: Russia`s foreign minister has warned that the implementation of Kofi Annan`s cease-fire plan for Syria can only be assessed by the United Nations.
Sergey Lavrov warned Wednesday that groups such as the Friends of Syria should have no say in evaluating the plan`s performance.
Syrian forces have continued shelling opposition strongholds despite a pledge by Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime to respect a week-old cease-fire and withdraw troops from urban centers in line with Annan`s plan.
Lavrov accused the Syrian opposition forces of provoking the government`s backlash in order to thwart the cease-fire plan. He urged all nations that have leverage with the opposition to force it to abide by cease-fire.
Russia, along with China, has twice shielded its ally Syria from UN sanctions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'