Russia seeks closer military ties with Myanmar
Naypyidaw: Russia is seeking improved ties including military cooperation with Myanmar, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said during an official visit.
"In connection with the removal of sanctions, I think we have new opportunities in the defence ministry for cooperation," Shoigu said following a meeting in Naypyidaw with Myanmar`s Vice President Nyan Tun.
The two states could also cooperate in future in trade, culture and education, Shoigu said.
A media report said Russia plans to admit Myanmar students to Moscow State University.
Myanmar, previously known as Burma, was ruled by a military junta from 1962 until 2011, when the military transferred power to an ostensibly civilian government.
Sanctions were imposed on the military regime by the US and the European Union in the 1990s, because of the country`s human rights record.
The Myanmar armed forces are equipped with mainly Soviet and Chinese-made equipment, much of which is obsolete.
Last year, the EU voted to lift all sanctions on Myanmar, except for a ban on arms supplies.
In July 2012, the US restored diplomatic relations with Myanmar and lifted some sanctions, including a ban on investment.
In January, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov called on the lifting of all remaining sanctions still imposed against Myanmar, during a visit to Naypyidaw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!