Russia seeks to join Syria chemical attack probe
Moscow: Russia wants its own experts to join the team that will investigate the alleged use of chemical weapons during fighting between rebels and government forces in Syria, Russia`s senior diplomat said on Monday.
"The objectivity of a probe into the use of chemical weapons in Syria on March 19 could be guaranteed by a balanced group of international experts," Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov tweeted.
"It should comprise representatives of the `big five` UN Security Council members, including chemistry specialists from Russia and China," Gatilov, Russia`s point man on the Middle East, wrote in his remarks.
Last week the Syrian government and opposition rebels traded accusations of the use of chemical weapons in the northern Syrian province of Aleppo.
The UN has pledged to investigate the reports.
Syrian state media reports said that at least 25 people died and 110 were seriously injured. Rebel forces have denied using chemical weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi