Russia seeks US explanation over child abuse case
Moscow: Russia demands explanation from the US over a child abuse case involving a Russian boy adopted by an American family, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.
The boy was adopted by a US couple arrested in 2011 in Florida for alleged child abuse. But a local court later withdrew all charges and released the foster parents, Xinhua reported.
"The Russian Foreign Ministry is seriously concerned with the information that the underage Maxim Babayev adopted from Russia was abused in his American foster family of Shed and Christy Tailors," the ministry`s spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said in a release.
The Russian government would do its best to protect the boy`s rights and interests, and is going to raise the issue during the Russia-US consultations currently underway in Moscow, said the release.
Russia ratified an agreement with the US on child adoption cooperation in July 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj