Russia sees `real opportunity` for Iran nuclear deal
Moscow: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov sees a "real opportunity" for the six-party talks with Iran to reach a deal on Tehran`s disputed nuclear programme, the foreign ministry said on Saturday.
In a statement released after Lavrov spoke with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Jarad Zarif in Geneva yesterday, the Russian ministry called the meeting "a comprehensive and interested exchange of opinions" about how to end disagreements in the negotiations.
"Lavrov underlined that for the first time in many years, the `5+1` and Iran have a real opportunity to come to agreement," the statement quoted Lavrov as saying at the meeting.
Lavrov is to join his counterparts from the P5+1 group -- comprising the United States, Britain, France, Russia, China and Germany -- in Geneva today in a bid to reach an interim accord with Iran on its nuclear programme after a decade of failed efforts.
Lavrov and Zarif discussed "key issues in the parties` positions, which inhibit reaching decisions," the statement said, without elaborating.
Lavrov flew to Geneva yesterday and also had a late meeting with European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton. No details of that conversation were released to the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof