Russia sends 25 tonnes of aid for Syrian refugees
Beirut: A Russian Emergencies Ministry plane carrying 26.7 tonnes of humanitarian aid for Syrian refugees in Lebanon has reached Beirut.
According to the Lebanese Disasters Emergency Committee, there are over 400,000 Syrian refugees in the country.
If Syrian guest workers are included in that figure, it could be as high as one million in a country that has a population of four million.
The committee will distribute the aid among the Syrian refugees.
The next Russian aid delivery is due to arrive in Lebanon on April 10. A total of four Russian planes with humanitarian aid are to be sent to the country.
Lebanese President Michel Suleiman said in January that his small country`s capabilities had been exhausted, but that Syrian refugees kept on coming.
He called on other Arab states to help not only financially, but also to give shelter to those fleeing the ongoing conflict in Syria.
About 70,000 people have died in Syria since the start of the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011, according to UN figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!