Russia slams US deployment of missiles in Poland
Moscow: Russia Wednesday criticized the United
States` deployment of Patriot missiles in Poland, saying the
move jeopardized bilateral relations and security in the
A battery of US surface-to-air Patriot-type missiles
arrived Sunday at a Polish military base, the first such
deployment on Polish soil.
Polish officials were to unveil the Patriots, which are
designed to intercept incoming surface-to-surface missiles,
"It is unclear why such a region located in the immediate
proximity to the Russian border has been found for the
deployment and where, as far as we know, there are no objects
of military infrastructure," the Interfax news agency
quoted an unnamed foreign ministry official as saying.
"Such actions do not fit the current level of our ties,
do not lead to the strengthening of stability in this region
but on the contrary decrease trust and predictability," the
The missiles will be stationed at a military base at
Morag, which is just 60 kilometres from the border with
Russia`s Kaliningrad territory.
"We do not understand the logic and direction of this
move," the official said. "We have repeatedly raised the issue
with the Americans and the Poles but have not received real
answers to our questions."
Up to 150 US troops based in Kaiserslautern, Germany, are
to service the battery in Poland and train Polish soldiers to
Russia and the United States have over past months sought
to improve ties damaged under the previous US administration
but Washington has also said its "reset" ties with Moscow will
not hurt relations with east European allies like Poland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump by 11 points in US presidential race
- Pakistan strongly condemns terrorist attack at Istanbul airport
- From criticism to unconditional love: Argentine fans urge Lionel Messi not to quit
- SC dismisses PIL seeking ban on WhatsApp, other messaging apps
- Arvind Kejriwal accuses political parties in Goa of encouraging sex, drugs, prostitution