Russia slams US for recognising Syrian opposition
Moscow: Russia has criticised Washington`s decision to recognise Syria`s main opposition group as the country`s legitimate representative saying the move is a violation of earlier accords.
President Barack Obama said yesterday that the newly-formed Syrian Opposition Council "is now inclusive enough" to be granted the elevated status and deemed his move "a big step" in the international diplomatic efforts to end Syrian President Bashar Assad`s embattled regime.
Recognition of the council as the sole representative of Syria`s diverse population brings the US in line with Britain, France and several of America`s Arab allies.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said today that the recognition contradicted earlier international agreements that foresee the "commencement of an all-Syria dialogue" that would include all sides of the conflict that killed more than 40,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days