Russia slams US for recognising Syrian opposition
Moscow: Russia has criticised Washington`s decision to recognise Syria`s main opposition group as the country`s legitimate representative saying the move is a violation of earlier accords.
President Barack Obama said yesterday that the newly-formed Syrian Opposition Council "is now inclusive enough" to be granted the elevated status and deemed his move "a big step" in the international diplomatic efforts to end Syrian President Bashar Assad`s embattled regime.
Recognition of the council as the sole representative of Syria`s diverse population brings the US in line with Britain, France and several of America`s Arab allies.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said today that the recognition contradicted earlier international agreements that foresee the "commencement of an all-Syria dialogue" that would include all sides of the conflict that killed more than 40,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth