Russia starts large-scale military exercises
Moscow: Russia has started large-scale military exercises in the disputed Kuril islands in the country`s far east, a military official said Tuesday.
The Kuril islands, known to neighbouring Japan as the Northern Territories, are a contentious issue in Russian-Japanese relations.
The exercises are taking place just two days before Japan marks its Northern Territories Day Feb 7.
The exercises have included cooperation between Russian Pacific Fleet ships, tactical fighter aviation and artillery as well as border guard personnel based in the islands area, eastern military district spokesman Alexander Gordeyev said Tuesday.
"In particular, the exercises will practice a special operation aimed at helping a vessel in distress in Russian waters," Gordeyev said.
He did not specify which of the islands was involved in the exercises.
The disputed islands of Iturup, Kunashiri, Shikotan and Habomai, called the Southern Kurils in Russia, are still claimed by Japan. They were occupied by Soviet forces at the end of World War II.
Last month, former Japanese prime minister Yoshiro Mori suggested Japan should seek the return of just three of the islands, leaving Iturup to Russia, to settle the dispute.
But Japan`s Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said all four islands belong to Japan and the government is not planning to overturn its position.
Russia has maintained it will not give up the islands` sovereignty.
In 2010, then president Dmitry Medvedev sparked a diplomatic row with Tokyo by making the first ever visit by a Russian leader to the islands, and later said Russia would increase its military presence there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!