Russia stops most Afghan narcotics, no transit to Europe
Moscow: Russia stops most of the
smuggled Afghan narcotics and there is practically no transit
of banned substances to Europe, an official of the country`s
anti-drug department has said.
Nikolai Tsvetkov, Deputy Director of the Federal Drug
Control Service (FKSN) and Head of the State Anti-Drugs
Committee`s staff while commenting on Afghanistan`s drug
situation said that, "it looks much worse and tragic for our
"From the autumn of 2001, when the Enduring Freedom
Operation began and the UN security support international
contingent entered Afghanistan, the production of narcotics,
which are mostly those of the opiate group, has grown up by
over 40 times," Tsvetkov said.
The most part of the drugs is trafficked via the
northern route traversing Russia.
"Presently, we do not have a common border with
Afghanistan, there is only the former Soviet-Afghan border,
which is controlled by Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and
Tajikistan," he said.
"Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan have 7,500 kilometres of
common border and they are involved in the trafficking.
"The law enforcement authorities of our neighbours
fulfil the tasks they have, but the reality is the flow of
narcotics from Afghanistan is the size of an avalanche,"
"This is why we are interested in closer cooperation
with our counterparts in Central Asia, Iran and, surely,
About 25-30 percent of the Afghan drug output are
trafficked via the northern route, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video