Russia stops most Afghan narcotics, no transit to Europe
Moscow: Russia stops most of the
smuggled Afghan narcotics and there is practically no transit
of banned substances to Europe, an official of the country`s
anti-drug department has said.
Nikolai Tsvetkov, Deputy Director of the Federal Drug
Control Service (FKSN) and Head of the State Anti-Drugs
Committee`s staff while commenting on Afghanistan`s drug
situation said that, "it looks much worse and tragic for our
"From the autumn of 2001, when the Enduring Freedom
Operation began and the UN security support international
contingent entered Afghanistan, the production of narcotics,
which are mostly those of the opiate group, has grown up by
over 40 times," Tsvetkov said.
The most part of the drugs is trafficked via the
northern route traversing Russia.
"Presently, we do not have a common border with
Afghanistan, there is only the former Soviet-Afghan border,
which is controlled by Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and
Tajikistan," he said.
"Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan have 7,500 kilometres of
common border and they are involved in the trafficking.
"The law enforcement authorities of our neighbours
fulfil the tasks they have, but the reality is the flow of
narcotics from Afghanistan is the size of an avalanche,"
"This is why we are interested in closer cooperation
with our counterparts in Central Asia, Iran and, surely,
About 25-30 percent of the Afghan drug output are
trafficked via the northern route, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened