Russia stops most Afghan narcotics, no transit to Europe
Moscow: Russia stops most of the
smuggled Afghan narcotics and there is practically no transit
of banned substances to Europe, an official of the country`s
anti-drug department has said.
Nikolai Tsvetkov, Deputy Director of the Federal Drug
Control Service (FKSN) and Head of the State Anti-Drugs
Committee`s staff while commenting on Afghanistan`s drug
situation said that, "it looks much worse and tragic for our
"From the autumn of 2001, when the Enduring Freedom
Operation began and the UN security support international
contingent entered Afghanistan, the production of narcotics,
which are mostly those of the opiate group, has grown up by
over 40 times," Tsvetkov said.
The most part of the drugs is trafficked via the
northern route traversing Russia.
"Presently, we do not have a common border with
Afghanistan, there is only the former Soviet-Afghan border,
which is controlled by Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and
Tajikistan," he said.
"Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan have 7,500 kilometres of
common border and they are involved in the trafficking.
"The law enforcement authorities of our neighbours
fulfil the tasks they have, but the reality is the flow of
narcotics from Afghanistan is the size of an avalanche,"
"This is why we are interested in closer cooperation
with our counterparts in Central Asia, Iran and, surely,
About 25-30 percent of the Afghan drug output are
trafficked via the northern route, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know