Russia submits draft Gaza resolution to UNSC
United Nations: Russia has submitted to the UN Security Council for consideration a draft resolution aimed at helping international efforts to settle the conflict between Israel and the Gaza Strip.
Earlier on Monday, Russia`s Ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin said the draft resolution would focus on three key components: an end to violence, support for international and regional efforts to settle the crisis peacefully, and a call for resumption of talks between Palestinians and Israelis on a wider range of problems.
In line with the draft available to journalists, the council should condemn all forms of violence against civilians. The draft suggests that both Palestinian and Israeli citizens should be protected.
About 100 Palestinians, including dozens of civilians, have been killed since Israel`s Operation Pillar of Defence against the Palestinian enclave of 1.7 million began Nov 14 with an airstrike that eliminated the head of the military wing of the Hamas Islamist group, Ahmed Jabari.
The airstrike came after a reported surge in rocket attacks on Israeli border towns from Gaza, which has been governed by Hamas since 2007. Three Israeli civilians were killed in the rocket attacks from Gaza.
Israel has put 75,000 reservists on standby and troops and military equipment are massed near the border with Gaza as Israeli authorities do not rule out a ground operation in Gaza.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Tusshar Kapoor is now proud father to a baby boy! No, we aren’t kidding
- French Finance Min: France, Germany agree Britain should start process to leave EU quickly
- Syria attack so far leaves 25 children dead: UNICEF
- Chaitanya Padukone pens book on 'Pancham Da'
- Japanese girl hit by train while using smartphone