Russia subs military with civilians at Syrian base
Moscow: Russia has withdrawn all military personnel from its naval base in Syria and replaced them with civilian workers, the Defence Ministry said on Thursday.
The ministry did not say when the switch at the base at Tartus took place or how many personnel were deployed there.
The minor facility is Russia`s only naval outpost outside the former Soviet Union. It consists of several barracks and depots used to service Russian navy ships in the Mediterranean.
The ministry statement said that Tartus has continued to service the Russian Navy ships.
"They are continuing to work in a regular mode, and there is no talk about their evacuation from Tartus," the statement said. "Tartus remains the official base and repair facility for the Russian ships in the Mediterranean and is continuing to fulfil its mission."
The ministry didn`t explain why it was replacing military personnel with civilians, but the move could be part of efforts by Moscow to pose as an objective mediator trying to broker Syria peace talks.
Moscow, however, also has an unknown number of military advisers in Syria who help its military operate and maintain Soviet- and Russian-built weapons that make up the core of its arsenals.
Russia has been the main ally of Syrian President Bashar Assad, shielding his regime from the UN Security Council`s sanctions and continuing to provide it with weapons despite the two-year civil war that has killed more than 93,000 Syrians, according to the UN estimates.
The ministry`s statement followed reports yesterday in the Al Hayat newspaper and Russia`s business daily Vedomosti, which claimed that Moscow had withdrawn all of its military and civilian personnel from Tartus along with all military advisers.
In Washington, US State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell refused conjecture about the Russian move, but pointed at the "deteriorating security situation".
"I just can`t speculate if that`s their reasoning," he added.
Russia announced earlier this month that it will keep a fleet of about dozen Navy ships in the Mediterranean, a move seen as an attempt to project power and protect its interests in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre