Russia successfully tests intercontinental ballistic missile
Moscow: Russia has successfully test fired a new intercontinental ballistic missile which will be used by the country`s elite forces to get through anti-missile systems, an official said.
According to Colonel Vadim Koval, spokesman for the Russian strategic missile forces, the prototype of a new missile with a mobile launcher was launched at 22:28 Moscow time from the Kapustin Yar testing ground in the Astrakhan region.
"The missile`s model warhead hit the hypothetical target at the Sary-Shagan testing pad in Kazakhstan", Koval told Inter-Tass yesterday.
The key task of the test launch was to verify correctness of technological solutions used in the new missile. Apart from that, the launch confirmed its operability and specified technical characteristics of its systems and units. Moreover, elements of missile warheads were tested.
"The missile is being created based on maximum use of new technological solutions of the fifth-generation missile systems," Koval noted. "These solutions considerably reduce production time and cost."
The new missile will be used by Russian strategic missile forces to get through anti-missile systems.
According to Koval, the Kapustin Yar missile testing site has unique facilities to test elements of missile warheads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners